Côtes du Rhône: Domaine Saint Gayan 2013
Jean-Pierre Meffre, whose Domaine Saint Gayan is based in the Southern Rhône stronghold of Gigondas, is one of our longest-serving suppliers, with an impeccable track record. His family have been making wine in these parts for 400 years.
Domaine Saint Gayan (Jean-Pierre Meffre)
The Meffres have been vignerons at Gigondas since the 17th Century and have played a key role in the success of the appellation. Roger Meffre (Jean-Pierre’s father) was president of the Syndicat des Vignerons de Gigondas and was instrumental in winning Appellation Contrôllée status for Gigondas in 1971 and changing the law regarding the wine’s Grenache content (raised from a maximum of 65% to 85% in 1985). The 33 hectare Domaine Saint Gayan, now run by Jean-Pierre, is one of the commune’s finest estates and an important player in our portfolio.
- Red Wine, Dry (Sec), Medium-bodied
- Rhone, Cotes du Rhone
- Domaine Saint Gayan (Jean-Pierre Meffre)
- Grape variety (Cépage):
- Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache Noir, Cinsault
- Wine pairing - drink with:
- Chicken and Turkey
- This Côtes du Rhône from Domaine Saint Gayan always drinks well when released (which is later than most of its peers) but responds well to bottle age.
- Hand harvested Cinsault, Grenache Noir, Mourvèdre, and Syrah grapes are macerated and fermented in cement vats and racked in used oak barrels for at least a year before bottling.
- Alcohol by Volume (ABV):
One Minute Review - Côtes du Rhône: Domaine Saint Gayan
Meirion Williams reviews the classic Côtes du Rhône from Domaine Saint Gayan - a great all-rounder, one of the cornerstones of the Yapp wine list.